Friday 13 July 2012

June/July Update

I have spent the last half an hour trying to think up a good title for this blog and June/July Update is all I could muster!  Well, I have been fighting off the lurgy this past week whilst attempting to keep to my normal pace of working so I'm sure you can forgive me for that.

It has been 6 months since I decided to make a living out of my writing and the going has been good, but nowhere near good enough to be able to give up the dreaded day job.  (I say dreaded but it isn't really that taxing having to talk to people about food and accompany them on the odd walk and gym session).  Funny I should mention taxing...this month I attended a free training session at the tax office at Middlesbrough.  It was really rather very kind of them to teach me, for free, all I need to know about completing tax returns.  (For anyone who doesn't know me, this is what my sarcasm looks like on the page!)

Anyone out there considering becoming self-employed can find info online at:
www.hmrc.gov.uk/register

It saddens me to say that the projects I have been working on have now come to an end, including Shake the Dust, mentioned in previous posts, and most recently The Brass Book Project that I was working on with Stevie Ronnie, as a member of Easington Writers' Group.  Although this is over now and I won't be attending any more events, the Brass Book exhibition is ongoing and will be in the area for a while before moving off down to London so if anyone fancies visiting the exhibition you can find out more info about where it will be and when by clicking the link below:
http://brassbook.wordpress.com/


(Photograph taken by Terry Dobson)


Middlesbrough Literature Festival (MLF)
MLF returned in June for the 4th year running.  Two weeks filled with readings, performances and writing workshops.  I managed to get along to a few of this years events including the Closing Ceremony, held on Saturday 30th at Middlesbrough Reference Library, where MLF Writers in Residence Bob Beagrie and Andy Willoughby presented Kids: a multimedia poetry performance based on Charlie Chaplin's 1921 movie 'The Kid'.  I had previously seen Kids when Bob and Andy performed it at Harlepool Library in its early stages and, although it was a joy to watch then, it is clear to see that a lot of hard work has gone into the performance since.  Hopefully they will be touring Kids soon but in the meantime, if you would like to see what it is all about you can buy a copy of their pamphlet Kids, published by Mudfog Press, 2012.  To buy a copy of the pamphlet or to find out more info about Kids please see links below:

http://www.ekzuban.org.uk/

http://www.mudfog.co.uk/contactus.asp


And finally...

The pilot Creative Writing Walk I led in partnership with Durham County Council was a huge success and they have asked me to organise further Creative Writing Walks as part of their regular walks programme so the preperation for these walks along with other applications, submissions, competitions, etc. will keep me busy for the next couple of weeks at least.

Until next time,

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment