Thursday 6 September 2012

Autumn at Last

I love Autumn.  It is most definately my favourite season.  It means that another disappointing summer is behind us and there's plenty to look forward to - crisp colourful days for walking and bike riding, cosy nights in in front of the TV (I don't have a fire), tasty slow cooked stews, BOGOF mini cruises to Amsterdam and warm, comfortable dark clothing.  It also brings the promise of what's to come with Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas and my birthday (yeay!) just around the corner.

Having just been away for a week I am now fully recharged and once more raring to go with all things writing.

I haven't exactly been pushing to make money from my writing career since starting up.  I've had a few paid projects and have entered the odd competition but that's about it.  I think it's due to having a stable job with an income that pays the bills, with a little left over for a few luxuries each month, that I haven't felt the urgency to push my writing career and have allowed myself to just ease into it gently.  Now is the time to pull the preverbial sleeves up and make my own mark in the writing world.  I need a name, an image, a fan base.  I need to make some important decissions as to which path I would like to go down.  The problem with me is there are so many paths to take and I want to walk along all of them, taking in all of the scenery as I pass.  Decissions will have to be made though if I want to become a full time writer.  One way that may help me to achieve this is to take up some additional freelance work, not actually writing, but doing something that will allow me to pause, to contemplate, and to allow creative juices to flow.  This is something I have done in the past and something that I have recently taken up again.  Now, it is not for everyone but I love to do it for the reasons previously mentioned.  It can also provide material for new writing, epecially if you have had some of experiences that I have had whilst doing it.  Got you wondering yet?  I am an artisits muse (as one of my friends recently put it).  I am a life model.  Like I say, its not for everyone but if you do have the courage to try it, it is a good way to earn extra cash without taking away that time writers need to mull things over.

So, what have I been upto lately?  I hear you ask.  I've been writing more than anything else lately.  Writing poetry specifically for competitions, so I'm afraid until the competitions have closed and winners announced, I can't really share any of my recent work with you.
I've also been working hard to aquaint myself with technology.  A friend of mine kindly loaned me their digital recording device so I could record some of my poems and upload them to Sound Cloud.  Here's an example:

http://soundcloud.com/poet-chris/the-hangover


So what's coming up?

Poetry events -

* Tomorrow (eek!)  Friday 7th September, BLERoom, Coffee Beans Cafe, Middlesbrough.  I'll be doing a ten minute set there.

* Friday 28th September, Laid Bare, The Studio, Hartlepool.  I'll be there to do a 20 minute set.

* Thursday 4th October, Newcastle Central Library, National Poetry Day, 20 minute set.


Writing Walks (led by me, as part of Durham County Council's autumn/winter walks programme) -

* 21st October - Bishop Auckland

* 18th November - Durham

* 3rd Feb 2013 - Hawthorne Dene

(each walk lasts around 3 hours, is around 3 miles in length, is quite a gentle pace and is in a fun, friendly and relaxed atmosphere.  For more details on the walks please ask me for details or see the DCC website)

www.durham.gov.uk/countryside

Also, listen out for me on Literary Loiterings, CVFM on Tuesday 18th September between 12 and 2pm

Other News:
 - The Brass Book exhibition (mentioned in previous posts) has moved on to Bishop Auckland library and will be there for the rest of September.  Please feel free to go along and listen to the book.  Yes, I said listen!  This is an interactive exhibition created by Stevie Ronnie.  I have a piece of work recorded in the Easington Book.
 - Julian Stair exhibition at MIMA, Middlesbrough.  If you go along to see the exhibition please go to the balcony and have a listen to the recordings relating to the exhibition.  I have 2 poems recorded.
 - Next Backhall Writers group meeting at Blackhall Library, County Durham, 5-7pm on Monday 24th September.  All are welcome.
 - I've been working on a book with a friend and fellow MA student, Nicola Cameron so watch this space for more news on progress.
 - I've been approached to do some ghost writing.  This is all I'm giving away about this at present so again, watch this space for further developments.

And that's about it for this update.  I'll be back next month to give you all another interesting insight into my world of writing related wonders!

Ciao for now.x.

No comments:

Post a Comment